The Annunciation ~ Charles E. Kempe & Company, London, 1915
This magnificent three-light 1915 window, designed by John Lisle and made by C. E. Kempe & Co., depicts the Angel Gabriel’s announcement to the Blessed Virgin Mary that she would conceive a son by the power of the Holy Spirit.
This window was given to St. John’s by the Girls’ Friendly Society, a charitable organization founded by Kate Daniels. The window was dedicated to the memory of Miss Daniels, who died in 1913. The identifying mark of C.E.Kempe & Co., a wheatsheaf with a black tower in it, is seen in the lower left corner of the Gabriel window. The window was commissioned on 2 July 1915 (Commission #2638) and was dedicated at St. John’s on 16 November of the same year. (Research on C. E. Kempe & Co. was done by Philip Collins, Honorary Secretary of the Kempe Society in Liverpool; the Society was founded in 1984 to support the interest in the work of Mr. Kempe and his company.)
Research in the archives of James Powell & Sons was done by Dr. Dennis Hadley of Reading, Great Britain.
Location: North side of the nave, lower level, the second window down from the transept. It consists of three separate lancet lights; the center panel is framed with hardware that allows it to open.
Inscription: Erected by the members of the Girls’ Friendly Society in loving memory of Kate Daniel, Obit 1913.”