The Lamb of God Rose Window ~ Henry Edwards-Ficken; 1895
Agnus Dei, The Lamb of God, is the symbol of Christ victorious over death. The lamb, long used as a sacrificial animal in ancient rites, became the symbol of Christ’s sacrifice of himself to human death on the cross. The banner represents the resurrection.
Roses and lilies, which surround the lamb, are the symbols of purity and sinlessness, often associated with the Virgin Mary as well as Jesus.
This window, which was installed in late 1895, was given to St. John’s by Mr. and Mrs. Walton Ferguson in memory of their son Edward, who died at the age of 14 in 1890. The window was designed by Henry Edwards-Ficken, the architect who would be commissioned to design the Edward Ferguson memorial building at St. Luke’s Chapel in South Stamford. Edwards-Ficken also designed the Life of Christ window at St. John’s.
Henry Edwards-Ficken was born in London, England, around 1844, and came to New York in 1869. He began working for the architectural firm of Potter and Robinson in New York but opened his own offices in 1883. He designed many private estates and public buildings in the Victorian Gothic revival style, including the town hall of Birmingham, Connecticut. From 1913 until his death in 1929, Edwards-Ficken was the supervising architect and engineer of Woodlawn Cemetery outside of New York.
Location: Wall of the north transcept, above the corridor entrance.
Inscription: None visible, but according to a notice in the St John’s Monthly of December 1895, it is inscribed: “To the Glory of God! and in memory of Edward Ferguson, second son of Walton and Julia Ferguson – Nat. March 10, 1876, Obit. Oct. 16, 1890 – This Rose Window is placed.”